Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Watchguard Firebox firewalls

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:16:51 -0800

From: "CHRIS GRABENSTEIN" <LFGRABC () LF VCCS EDU>
I manage two Firebox 1000s.  I'm not particularly impressed with it (the
rules aren't granular enough for my tastes), but that's what my boss bought.
It can detect port scans/ping scans/etc. and dynamically block IPs.  It has
some built-in proxies to strip out some less-desirable content.

It gets the job done, but maybe not as well as other products can. I watched the console port once a long while back and it's just a Linux box in a bright red case. I believe it was running a 2.0 kernel. It may have been 2.2, but
I don't think so.

Smoothwall (smoothwall.org) looks very nice and is free, but I've only toyed
with it a little.  Does anyone know how well it's suited for a production
network?

I use IPCOP which is a fork of smoothwall, and it works great for us.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Live dangerously, overclock your servers."

Send a QuickGreet with MSN Messenger http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/cdp_games

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs by up to 80%. FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial - http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------