Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Audit of file permissions on per-user basis

From: "Al Cook" <cookas () msn com>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 11:45:38 +0000

I would also find this very helpful!

Thanks, Al

From: "CHRIS GRABENSTEIN" <LFGRABC () LF VCCS EDU>
To: "Security-Basics@Securityfocus. Com (E-Mail)" <security-basics () securityfocus com>
Subject: Audit of file permissions on per-user basis
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 13:47:50 -0500

Hello list,
Due to an upcoming audit I need to be able to produce an on-demand report
of any given user's permissions on an NTFS (Mostly Win2k, some NT4)
filesystem.

   I've tried showacls.exe but the output is not in a format I can easily
parse out results for a particular user.

   I've also tried SomarSoft's DumpSec.  I can import the results into an
access database and work with it fairly easily, but it can't seem to handle
any permissions besides read, write, or execute.  Anything else produces a
hex value that I can't interpret.  It might have to be "good enough".

Is there a tool out there that can produce a readable and accurate report
of permissions for a particular user (or even all users in a format I can
parse myself)?  I've searched Google and the Security Focus mailing list
archives.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
by up to 80%.
FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027

Tired of 56k? Get a FREE BT Broadband connection http://www.msn.co.uk/specials/btbroadband