Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: bash_history to track users

From: "Meritt James" <meritt_james () bah com>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 09:52:54 -0500

I've done that.  Also wrote scripts to yank out of the MASSIVE record
what I was looking for.  That was years ago.  If you enable process
accounting, I recommend setting the partition you are writing to
appropriately and check soonest - the thing got REAL big FAST.

Steve Chadsey wrote:

It sounds though that what you are after is called "process accounting".
This has been available for linux, solaris, and other OSes for some time.
I haven't personally needed it, so I can't really help with any details
beyond this.  But spend a few minutes googling for information on process
accounting for your specific OS should get you started.

--
James W. Meritt CISSP, CISA
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
by up to 80%.
FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027