Security Basics mailing list archives

bash_history to track users

From: "Joe Szilagyi" <js () axxs net>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 00:44:08 -0500

Hi everyone,

Is there any way to totally keep track of users, to the degree of adding
timestamps and hostnames to each entry in the server's .bash_history files?

The especially wonderful thing would be able to have .bash_history record
the IP/hostname the person responsible is logging in from, i.e., if I'm in
as root from host 'barney.gumble.com', and I run command 'y', I want history
to show like, this, and same from other people logging in...

114 barney.gumble.com passwd marge
115 barney.gumble.com adduser moe
116 65.23.18.95 cd /etc/conf/httpd
117 65.23.18.95 vi httpd.conf
118 barney.gumble.com pico .bachrc

...and so on. Is this possible?
Regards, Joe

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to
simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs
by up to 80%.
FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial -
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027