Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: suggestions on a good firewall

From: "Des Ward" <des.ward () ntlworld com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 19:15:34 +0100

I've been reading this thread for a while now, and would like to make a few
points:

1.      People in the IT industry get VERY blinkered in regards to what they
work with and don't really understand other technologies.  This is      what
has been manifested in the immature comments exhibited over the         past
week.

2.      I agree with general consensus that it is the security admin that
makes the firewall work, not the technology.  How many people are in    this
job because they feel passionately about security?  Further more        how
many people take the care to properly harden servers due the fact       that
they are putting all their faith in one (Often expensive) line of
defence.  The whole point in security should be to put as many layers   in
as you can afford (This includes hardening of O/S, Application and
passwords and applying updates to the servers).  For example, how many
people have Cisco routers and apply access lists to them?

3.      The majority of firewalls that I have seen have @10% of their
capability used and are then upgraded without fully using the   technology
due to ignorance.  This means that the ability to provide       VPNs costs a
lot more than it should on, say Checkpoint FW-1 than it         could on a
Netscreen or Cisco PIX.

4.      A 'software' firewall can be as good as a hardware one, take for
example Checkpoint on a Nokia platform (The argument about software
firewalls changes now, see it's all in the implementation).  This is    now
not a general purpose O/S, but a specifically hardened one (I   admit that
it is also a VERY expensive solution!)

5.      The bottom line is that there are inexperienced techs out there who
will listen to anything that we all say in this forum...  If you don't  have
anything to say that you cannot substantiate, then please keep  quiet in the
cheap seats, there are people trying to find things out!!