Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: suggestions on a good firewall

From: "Christopher Harrington" <charrington () syseng com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 12:26:29 -0400

I guess like most everything else it comes down to what you want to do
with the firewall. They each have their place based on cost vs.
functionality with a little ease of use thrown in. If I was a Microsoft
shop with no Linux / BSD expertise I would not install a FW based on those
technologies. I would probably go hardware based with a nice easy GUI
interface. That way I would not have to worry about the learning curve as
much.

My personal choice would be a Cisco PIX 501. They are about $375 street
price and have built in VPN capabilities.

--Chris