Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Open source vs. proprietary software

From: Volker Kindermann <freebsd () secspace de>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 10:07:04 +0200

Hey Paul,

How do you feel about using open source software as opposed to vendor-
supplied/licensed software? I'm talking about the general case rather
than specifics, about things like implementations of Secure Shell,
security scanners etc.

If you have any experience of support issues with one or the other,
I'd be interested in hearing about them too.

one of my customers is a quite big banking corporation here in germany.
About two years ago, they put two mailservers running linux w. postfix
in front of their lotus notes mailservers.

Their experience is:

- postfix is running very stable and reliable
- support via the mailing list is very good
  -> less complicated and better than commercial support
- very low maintenance costs for postfix

Hope that helps you a bit

 -volker

Thinking About Security Training? You Can't Afford Not To!

Vigilar's industry leading curriculum includes:  Security +, Check Point,
Hacking & Assessment, Cisco Security, Wireless Security & more! Register Now!
--UP TO 30% off classes in select cities--
http://www.securityfocus.com/Vigilar-security-basics