Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: block internet at two workstations - Answer

From: jamesworld () intelligencia com
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 11:49:20 -0500

Tim,

IF  (BIG IF) those machines have no need for IP services:

Since it's a small user network 10 machines:

Remove TCP/IP on those 2 machines and add netbuei.

Add netbuei to the other machines (so they can all talk).

The 2 w/o TCP/IP will not be able to get tot he internet.

You could use IPX if you really wanted to too.... Chatty though and more overhead.

very simple and you can rest assured that the Netbuei machines will not get out to the internet.

Make sure you have a way to distribute the AV updates to those machines (script on an IP machine to push the files to a share)

Then you can lock down the ability to add protocols

If they need IP:

add a secondary IP network to all machines

192.168.0.1 = fw and all are on 192.168.0.x
add 172.16.1.x to all machines as secondaries.
Remove 192.168.0.x from the 2 machines.

They can communicate via network since they are all local.
If you need to go to another remote site then you are looking at adding IP secondaries to your router.

172.16.1.x has no route to the Internet

Either way, problem solved.

-James