Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Any good method to check network overload?

From: Sean Knox <sean.knox () sbcglobal net>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 17:24:08 -0800

Maybe I'm missing something, but what's wrong with using MRTG?

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/

I mean, why reinvent the wheel?

The problem is that MRTG is too limited in its scope to be an effective measurement tool

Mark Reardon post summed up the problems of network load testing. I'd like to add a couple points.

1. What element of network traffic do you want to measure? In regards to TCP, jitter, rtt, and latency are just some of a dozen or so metrics to measure. Couple that with varying packet sizes, port numbers, etc., and you have a good deal of testing ahead of you. Just because you measure one element (ICMP ping for example) doesn't mean that is indicative of other types of traffic. As Mark mentioned, on a congested network, I might be able to download a linux distribution at a good rate, but interactive traffic via SSH or some other means will lag or time out.

2. ICMP Ping, and in turn MRTG, rrdtool, etc, is a poor assessment of network load. It's basically a 10,000-foot view of a problem. When you're pings start timing out and/or latency increases, you know there is a problem, but nothing beyond that. All you're actually measuring is your 64-byte ICMP pings-- not web traffic, smtp, or anything else. I suppose it's like driving a Volvo to see how fast your mustang runs. What is really needed is the ability to test specific aspects of the network- be it TCP, IP, UDP or otherwise. Some vendors do make such a product, hardware and software. Cisco and Brix are a couple I know of.

3. Additional monitoring software on a host adds further delay, as now the host has to process monitoring data as well as normal routed traffic. The best way around this problem I've seen is to establish a vector of some kind between two monitoring hosts on different ends of a link. i.e.

Monitor A -----> router ------> Monitor B

Specialized hardware is best suited for this task, although I haven't used any of the software packages, so I can't say. Also, as is obvious here, it's difficult to test the load on a server (as opposed to a router) because you run into problem #3.

Network metric testing is a complicated subject with no clear-cut solution yet.

-Sean