Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Any good method to check network overload?

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 23:50:07 -0800

  A significant difficulty with locating load-detection on
the equipment itself is that (a) the presence of load is
likely to interfere with the operation of the load-detection,
and (b) we've found that in some cases, the *presence* of
load-detection cuts into the load-carrying capacity of the
device -- sometimes by up to 30%!

  So I think the most the device can contribute to the task
is something like a heartbeat packet, which becomes slowed
or missing as the device nears overload.  The detection of
this case and logging or alerting of the condition still
really has to be done off-device.

David Gillett