Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Biometric Alternatives

From: compguruman () mail comcast net
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 23:40:36 -0400

I Personally use the Panasonic Authenticam. It is a Iris scanner, but, is very easy to use. It takes less then 2 sec to ID somebody and will work with glasses, contacts, etc. You can find out more about it at http://www.iridiantech.com/products.php?page=2&sub=a
or http://www.panasonic.com/cctv/products/bmet100us.asp

Its a bit expensive but i actually got it brand new off of eBay for $80US :)
I know it works with win98, ME, and 2000.  not sure about 2k3.

Something a little less secure but easier to implement is the Sony Puppy (http://www.sony.com/puppy)
they have versions that work with XP and 2000 along with others.

A list of several are at http://www.biomet.org/products.html
BTW it has been proven that $10 worth of hobby products can bypass any fingerprint ID device. Some Chinese mathematician did it with gummy bears lol