Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Biometric Alternatives

From: Jimi Thompson <jimit () myrealbox com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 18:21:54 -0500

At 4:01 PM -0600 6/4/03, Mears,Caleb M wrote:
Hello All,

I am currently evaluating different biometric alternatives to our current logon system. I have narrowed my search to fingerprint based systems because as most of our "customers" are students, ease of use is a must and iris or voice based systems do not seem practical. Keyboards with built-in scanners are preferred because most of the devices I have found are small external devices that I imagine will grow legs and walk out the door unless there is a locking mechanism included with the device. I am looking for something that will work in conjunction with our current Windows XP workstations and Windows 2000 server w/ Active Directory; however, we will be migrated over to Windows 2003 server by the end of the summer so compatibility with 2003 server is a must. The purpose of this project is to provide the students with an alternative to remembering their password and provide quicker logon times. Any good/bad experiences with vendors are appreciated.

Caleb

Caleb,

Honestly, many of the fingerprint and palm scanners just aren't that good unless you are willing to spend for high end gear, which probably won't come built into a keyboard. Many things can throw off fingerprint scanners - hand lotion, a minor burn, and small cuts. We tried them and found that with at least one brand, unless you cleaned the glass the workstation would randomly log you in because it would "hit" on the print that had been left on the scanning surface. I would tell you that you are probably better off setting up some sort of a self-service password retrieval system.

--
Thanks,

Ms. Jimi Thompson, CISSP, Rev.

"Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber." --Plato