Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Digital Evidence Question - What is an effective Windows hard -disk search tool?

From: "Troy Larson" <ntevidence () attbi com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:38:41 -0700

Bob,

You have no issue from me.  I use Ontrack's data recovery software too.
What it can't do--what no data recovery software can do--is recover
overwritten data.  That was my only point.  The consequence of this fact
mean that one pass of a data wiping utility is no less effective than 100
passes, if your only concern is software-based data recovery or reusing your
media for data forensics.

Troy