Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Digital Evidence Question - What is an effective Windows hard -disk search tool?

From: "Robinson, Sonja" <SRobinson () HIPUSA com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:22:32 -0400

According to information I received at an HTCIA meeting about 3 months ago,
as well as some reading that I have done, 31 times is now what is
recommended.  I can't locate my notes that had the speaker's name in the
piles on my desk but he was from NY State Dept. of Health I believe and in
charge of info security.  They had performed a number of tests on a number
of different wiping utilities (30 or so).  They specifically stated that
although their tests were obviously not exhaustive since there are a myriad
of tools out there, that s/w such as Maresware DeClafy and a few others
(somewhere in my notes) were the best because not only did they wipe the
drive completely, but it did the MBR's and even did past the EOF Flag at the
end of the drive.  They also spoke about shredders, magnets, etc. and the
pros and cons of each.  It was a very good training session and brought up a
lot of interesting points and dialog.   7x was the de facto standard for
D0D.  I am not sure if they have adjusted their requirements.  7x times was
recommended to ensure that the full clusters and sectors were completely
overwritten.  I agree in many instances 1 wipe is sufficient depending upon
what data you are trying to conceal, i.e. confidentiality and depending upon
whether you are resiisuing the drive or selling/diposing of it.  I also
agree with you that MOST tools will not recover past one wipe however, there
have been arguments stated in this thread that it is recoverable and
theoretically it IS possible although you are correct it is generally more
difficult. I wipe mine to the original D0D specs currently, 7x.  I will be
testing FTK, Encase, R-Studio and some other generally available tools over
the next two weeks or so, as time permits.  I will be testing against a
regular format, gdisk, and BCWipe and perhaps some others.  I will post a
summary of the results when I have them.

Sonja Robinson, CISA
Network Security Analyst
HIP Health Plans
Office:  212-806-4125