Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Digital Evidence Question - What is an effective Windows hard -disk search tool?

From: "dave klimen" <dave () netmedic net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 18:42:47 -0400

Sonja,

That is so far from correct.  With R-Studio $79
(http://www.r-tt.com/RStudio.shtml ), you can repartition, reformat (using
diff file systems) and still recover.  We tested a system that came fresh
from the factory with W2K single FAT partition.  We repartitioned it into 4
W2K NTFS partitions. Then one more time into 2 W2K NTFS.

Not only did it find and recover the originals we did it found a WIN98
operating install that must have been done at the disk or computer
manufactures.

I also use EnCase as well as many other forensic tools.

If you do not trust my opinion you can simply download the eval-copy which
will find and show you the lost info, but just will not recover them.

Dave Kleiman
dave () netmedic net
www.netmedic.net

"High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation."
Jack Kinder