Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows 2000 Registry

From: Birl <sbirl () temple edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:47:21 -0400 (EDT)

nbrussell:  Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:15:23 +1000
nbrussell:  From: Nicholas Russell <nbrussell () telstra com>
nbrussell:  To: security-basics () securityfocus com
nbrussell:  Subject: Windows 2000 Registry
nbrussell:
nbrussell:  Hello!
nbrussell:
nbrussell:  I’m a newbie to this list, and I’m honoured to be part of a group so
nbrussell:  willing to share its knowledge, time and altruism for the sake of
nbrussell:  ignorami like myself.
nbrussell:
nbrussell:  Can anyone recommend a good tool (or tools) for locking down or even
nbrussell:  encrypting the Windows 2000 registry at both the server and
nbrussell:  workstation levels? I figure that a good starting point would be to
nbrussell:  set up a policy removing access to cmd.exe and command.com as well as
nbrussell:  the ability to execute regedit and regedt32. I hate to leave myself
nbrussell:  open to all sorts of taunts and jeers, but is there anything more I
nbrussell:  can do?
nbrussell:
nbrussell:  Many Thanks in Advance,
nbrussell:
nbrussell:  - Nick Russell
nbrussell:
nbrussell:
nbrussell:
nbrussell:
nbrussell:  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
nbrussell:  Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
nbrussell:  The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
nbrussell:  while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.
nbrussell:
nbrussell:  Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
nbrussell:  about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.
nbrussell:
nbrussell:  Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm
nbrussell:
nbrussell:

Although this is out of date on this website, this is something that I
regularly update:

http://concept.temple.edu/sysadmin/nt2000/manditory.inf

 Thanks

 Scott Birl
 Senior Systems Administrator            Computer Services   Temple University