Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: password protection in office XP documents

From: Leif Gregory <leifg () doh state nm us>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:44:30 -0600

Hello news.ajanas,

Monday, June 16, 2003, 6:12:57 PM, you wrote:
na> I don't see how that works either. Lets do it 1 step at a time 1)
na> make file blah.doc, tools - options - security - password, save as
na> blah.doc 2) right click, rename to blah.html

It doesn't. See my reply to Matt's post (once it makes it through
moderation). The other thing is we're discussing two different types
of protection. The original post about this by SKP
(mid: <003b01c331c8$3e992530$6f01a8c0@Laptop1> ) concerned the document
protection methodology to prevent a user from editing the document see
(mid: <171538318020.20030616144331 () doh state nm us>). The Tools /
Options / Security / Password is to encrypt the document and is not
vulnerable to the issue mentioned in the original post by SKP.

Two different forms of protection.

--
Leif Gregory
DOH/PHD/EPI/PHEPU

leifg () doh state nm us
V: 505.476.7877
F: 505.476.7880

This email transmission and any accompanying documents may contain
health information that is privileged and confidential. This
information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity
to whom it is addressed.

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm