Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Public IP information

From: "Keith A. Pachulski, PPS, GCIH, GCFW" <keithp () protectors cc>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 20:14:37 -0400

chiming in here, when you contact your local or state law enforcement
office, specifically ask for an officer/trooper [depending on whether you
are contacting the local or state law enforcement and where you are located]
who is assigned to the high tech crimes unit or the computer crimes unit. If
you simply contact a law enforcement agency and get the desk officer who you
then begin babbling computer terms too, you probably will get dead air on
the other end of the phone line.

As for defending law enforcement, in my area at least; we just got done a
few hours ago teaching a class to local and state law enforcement -- these
guys are not dense, don't fool yourself. They are just as on the ball,
sometimes far surpassing some of us, in the security arena.

Be prepared to provide them with any and all information they request
including firewall logs, ids logs are great; all date/time [with the correct
time, you do use ntp, rdate or some other similar program right?] stamped..

going back to the original email/information, who owns a block of IP
addresses is not confidential information. Go to the top level provider and
make use of the whois function.

While the ISP is under no obligation to provide you with any information,
good customer service on their part should dictate they point you in the
correct direction.

-Keith
Alphabet soup available upon request

Need live assistance with a security issue now? http://www.keen.com/StrmShdw