Security Basics mailing list archives

Public IP information

From: Ronish Mehta <sf_mail_sbm () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 03:53:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, we have recently seen attacks comming from a
specific IP, by query APNIC, we found that the IP was
registered to a company (say company "X LTD")

We wanted to cross check with our ISP before taking
any action, the ISP is saying that the IP is no longer
associated with company "X Ltd" but with another
company;
however the ISP is claiming that the information is
confidential, and that they cannot divulgate the
identity of the company to which this IP address is
attached

Does the ISP have the right to do this?
Should not the ISP give us this information in case
APNIC is not updated?

Any other information on this issue is the most
welcome

Thanks & Regards