Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: wireless access point

From: "Myers, Marvin" <MRMyers () anteon com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 08:12:11 -0400

Considering that tools such as Kismet do not rely on any type of broadcasting methods, they actively probe for setups,
this is a moot point. I have actually had kismet probe a card on a laptop and show me every setup that the card was
used for. After confronting the user of the card with the results of the probe, they were astonished to see that I not
only saw the active profile, but three others that were configured for that card. And with Kismet, we were able to
retrieve the SSID from the CISCO without an association by the one and only client machine that was actually configured
for that particular AP. Ant we did this with both a Linux box using Kismet, and an XP box using NetStumbler with an
Netgear WAB501 using WAB511 drivers. Of course the XP box took longer, about two minutes, but this rig by far found
more AP and held them for a much longer time than the Linux box could.