Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: wireless access point

From: "David J. Jackson" <djackson () netdmz com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 09:31:22 -0700

Yes that is true.  However, keep in mind that tools like Kismet and Airsnort have the ability to find the SSID with
Beacon Broadcasts turned off.  This is simply not a way to keep people out.  Beacon broadcast disabling is for people
who want to prevent Joey Little Hacker from driving or biking down the street and picking up the SSID broadcast from
there.  One more thing to remember is that a wireless access point's signal can be pointed and guided.  If you're
worried about security in your wireless network, which it seems like most people aren't these days....

I would suggest that the first thing you do when you buy an access point is pull of the external antennas.  Get
directional antennas, and point them in the direction you want the signal to be broadcast to.  I work in a Law Firm in
Socal, and I point my directional antennas which are only about 5dB in power to specific areas of one particular floor
where we only have conference rooms.

I have it so that if you are in the reception area, there is no signal unless you have an external antenna with at
least 12dB of power.  And of course I've tested it so that the signal does not bleed outside in the parking structure,
the restrooms located on the same floor, and the floor below and above.  It's a very controlled signal and this is what
will keep out any hacker who doesn't know to look on one of the top floors of a high-rise building for a wireless
signal.

David Jackson