Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Question about accounting software and security in cybercafe.

From: Michael Boman <michael.boman () securecirt com>
Date: 05 Jun 2003 23:59:15 +0800

On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 14:13, Pall Ioan wrote:
 Hello,
I would like to post a question regarding an optimal and secure distro in a public cybercafe. Which would be a good
choice for making a *nix only network in a cybercafe? And regarding a security, how could I improve it, make it
secure enough to allow the client to access securely the internet? The main programs would be a mail client, web
browser and chat (im) clients.
And does exists a server-client applications which can do accounting and automatic login/logout from a dedicated
server for the clients?

 Thanks in advance,
Pall Ioan

What about a LTSP (www.ltsp.org) terminal server environment? Then there
is nothing on the client to worry about and you only need to maintain
one installation. With a few scripts you can create/re-create/delete
users so they always have a good "installation", regardless what the
previous user might have done.

Check out the contrib area as well, specially the package "Billing
System for Internet Cafe" and "Kiosk Reset Utility" looks like a good
candidate.

Actually, the "MeterMaid" utility seems like what you are looking for?

When it comes to what distro: choose the one you feel comfortable to
support, it doesn't really matter..

Best regards
 Michael Boman

--