Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Comparisons

From: salgak () speakeasy net
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 22:36:18 +0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph [mailto:jolt () nicholasofmyra org]
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2003 07:59 PM
To: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: Firewall Comparisons

I'm looking for a site that has some good firewall comparisons.  I'm looking
for more than just throughput; I would like a comparison of how secure they
can be.  How "well built" the OS is on them?  How do their stateful
filtering mechanisms compare?  Also, if anyone has had any good/bad
experience with these firewalls in particular, please let me know.

While you're at it, start a debate on preferred editor, shell, scripting language, and to top it off, Mac vs. PC  (g)

Seriously, Firewalls get as religious a following behind them as any of the other Computer Debates/Wars.

My **PERSONAL** preference is to go with a firmware-based box, as opposed to a software-based box. Harder to hack,
harder to exploit.  For that alone, I'd say the NetScreen.  I've got experience with SonicWall products as well, and
for that reason, do NOT recommend their firmware based products. . .

Evaluating SSL VPNs' Consider NEOTERIS, chosen as leader by top analysts!
The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant,
while InStat has confirmed Neoteris as the leader in marketshare.

Find out why, and see how you can get plug-n-play secure remote access in
about an hour, with no client, server changes, or ongoing maintenance.

Visit us at: http://www.neoteris.com/promos/sf-6-9.htm