Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: IEEE 802.11 security (public key encryption?)

From: "Nick Owen" <nowen () wikidsystems com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:18:31 -0400

Michael:

I agree with the comparison to RSA - and it's tough to be in crypto as a
business because of that (esp. now that their patents have expired).
However, if I had a choice between asymmetrically encrypted with Ntru and
using WEP, I would chose Ntru.  For our purposes, we are usually competing
against hardware tokens, in particular RSA's SecurID, which uses an
unpublished algorithm.  In fact, we are usually competing against passwords
for remote access, so the comparison should really be between the chances
that your password will be broken (high) plus the costs of passwords (not
inconsequential) to the chances that someone will break Ntru and use it
against you and the cost of replacing Ntru or that someone will break Ntru
but not use it against you and the cost of replacing Ntru.

If you take the business analysis into the picture, the cryptanalysis
changes in importance, IMO.

Nick