Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: IEEE 802.11 security (public key encryption?)

From: N407ER <n407er () myrealbox com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:45:14 -0400

Do you know more about how it works? I'm curious how something which sounds from your description to be really light-weight can be equivalent to RSA.

Thanks.

Nick Owen wrote:
Just one thought:  we have used a commercial encryption package from Ntru
for asymmetric encryption on wireless devices (we're using it for a
two-factor authentication system). It is incredibly fast and incredibly
small.  The keys are 5k, our entire J2ME package is about 32k.  The key
strengths are equivalent to 1024 bit RSA.  On a J2ME phone, key gen takes
about 14 seconds, compared to 14 hours or so for ECC and 2+ days for RSA
(had to kill it).  We were using the Nextel 1st generation phones as well,
the newer ones are faster.  On a Blackberry or Palm, you hardly notice the
key gen or encryption, in fact, the network lag is the key drag.

I know that Ntru did some implementation for a Wi-Fi project.  I think that
it would be a great solution for asymmetric encryption for Wi-fi, if you had
a particular need that warranted it.  My assumption is that it was not
considered for WEP because it's a commercial product.

Nick Owen

--
Nick Owen
CEO