Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: AW: Multi-User Access to Password Database

From: "D N Vaidya" <dnvaidya () rilinfo net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 09:22:55 +0530

Hi Friends,
As we are also using thousands of servers, we are using one methode to
genrate password of the server. That methode is given to all authorised
persons. Methode is based on IP address of that server. But drawback of this
system is every-body in that group who know the methode to genrate password
can access any server. User group wise credentials system is not possible in
this way.

Methode example: say IP of server is 12.12.13.14 then we can concentrate on
last octate because genrally only that part is unique for that machine. In
this case 14 is the last octate. Now we can represent 14 in various formats
as a password of that machine. e.g consider 014 now take ascii equivalent of
these digits and use as a password also we can add first octate at the end
of ascii sequence.

Hope this will help u.

Sincerely,
D.N.Vaidya