Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: New trojan turns home PCs into porno Web site hosts

From: "D N Vaidya" <dnvaidya () rilinfo net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 09:34:42 +0530

I think after studing how this system works now we need to concentrate on
how to protect inocent users from this. According to me everybody who is
using this type of Internet connections should use personal firewall
freeware applications to protect themselves. Either user should upgrade
themself in this in this matter or service provider should make user aware
of it. Also if user is using Win2K server or professional then it installs
IIS bydefault. So again threat of Nimda is there. For SQL server threat of
Slammer attack is there.

So i think best option to protect ourself while using this service we need
to have strong Antivirus installed also personal firewall with ANY deny in
inward direction rule and upgrade the OS with latest patches and hotfixes
can give 90% protection from these type of threats.

"Security Focus can and will do the different"

Sincerely,
D.N.Vaidya