Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: building an FAQ for Security-Basics

From: Martin Brecher <listuser () mb-itconsulting com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:46:09 +0200

vh wrote:
[snip]

A chapter about organizing your security related data, like using Password Safe for password lists, etc, would be one topic I would like to learn more about (i.e. read about some well-educated solutions/ideas).

Just suggestions:

1) What to do just after plain install?
   (Where to look and what to fix, for example to look through
   inetd.conf and cut things like finger and others)

Yes, that's a good idea. Maybe the FAQ could be splitted into the "Where to start" stuff, with stuff like the above, and a "What to do next" part, with info on IDS, Forensics, etc. This way we would have a part which would even help home users and a part for the security/admin folks. (Someone please find better names for the parts ;-) )

2) Encrypting
   (PGP, SSH...)

3) RTFM
   (Guides to read, and also mail lists like this one)

Also, I suggest including links to some "Secureing (OS|Distribution|Program) X" guides/scripts/worksheets.

Here are some I quickly found in my bookmarks:

Securing Debian
        http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/index.en.html

Slackware System Hardening
        http://www.c2i2.com/~dentonj/system-hardening

FreeBSD Handbook, Chapter "Security"
        http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/security.html

harden_suse script for SuSE Linux
        http://www.suse.de/~marc/harden_suse.html

Linux Security Quick Reference Guide
        http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/

Greetings,
Martin Brecher

--
"History has shown us, that strength may be useless,
when faced with terrorism." -- Jean-Luc Picard