Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Router Packet Filtering and Firewalls

From: "Trevor Cushen" <Trevor.Cushen () sysnet ie>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:34:55 -0000

You are right on all accounts and fair play to you for battling with
them.

Yes they are more lazy then anything else and a preset configuration
naturally makes their life easier but that is not what you are paying
them for.  Might I also suggest that you get a copy of the flash memory
with the configuration from them on disk rather then leaving recovery to
them solely.  I would also make sure you get the password and keep an
eye on the router yourself too. (MRTG is great for this)

It is your organisation and your network.  If there is an incident it
will be your head too.  You decide what level of security you want and
they must provide it to their customer (ie you).  The customer is always
right after all and yes two layers of security is always better then
one.

Trevor Cushen
Sysnet Ltd

www.sysnet.ie