Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows 2000 local security policy

From: c-foo <c-foo () cox net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 23:33:38 -0700

Try ZENWorks for Desktops. I believe you don't need the full version to use policies. The full version supports inventory and remote control but the starter pack can push policies.

C-Foo

Mohamed Karmil Asgarally ( ZADCO ITS) wrote:

Hi All,

I am currently working on a solution to deploy local security policy
settings on users desktop running Windows 2000 professional.  I am aware
that group policies can be centrally managed from Windows 2000 server active
directory.  However, i have currently only Windows Nt as server and we are
using Novell Netware as authentication server.  The Windows NT server is
only to provide services such as Exchange.

If anyone can help me in:
*       how to create a policy template (probably in *.inf format)
*       how to deploy this template (probably through login script) to the
desktops
*       how to audit the settings (to determine whether the policy setting
has been properly updated or if there is any breach of security by users)

I have heard of a tool called secedit.exe.  However, the help i have
obtained on how to use this tool is quite confusing.

I am open to any suggestions.  Please help as this is an urgent issue.

The policies i am trying to set are:
*       Audit policy
*       User rights assignment; and
*       Security policies

These policies are to be deployed to 1000+ desktop computers

Thanks to everyone for any help and suggestions