Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: VPN & PPPoE

From: Glen Mehn <glen () myvest com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 12:26:47 -0800

Paul Gaskin wrote:

I am new to the list and I'm not sure if this even falls into this category
but I'm getting desperate!

We have set up a VPN and it seems to work fine everyone can log on and move
around the network and send and receive email.
One person though... on a DSL using PPPoE can not send e-mail. we have tried
everything... has anyone run into this problem?
the user is on a Windows XP laptop connected to a Linksys wireless router
(Using PPPoE). and Outlook for E-mail. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance Paul
Can the user send mail when theipsec link is not up? What's the error he's getting? Is the smtp server (for the user) a server which on the other side of theVPN 'tunnel' (i.e., on the intranet accessible via vpn? Have you looked at the relaying rules setup on the mailserver? Can the user ping the smtp server?

-g