Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: VPN & PPPoE

From: "Rob Davis" <RobWadeD () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 06:09:15 -0600

Hi Paul,

I worked for a VPN company in the past.  Check the MTU size.  I think the
packet may not be making it thru both the IPSec encapsulation and the PPPoe
encapsulation.  The max MTU size is 1524.  IPSec adds overhead to the IP
packet (new header and extra data) and then PPPoe adds even more.  It works
fine for small packets (ping and etc), but when you get to larger packets
they get dropped.