Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Sendmail 8.11 configuration/security issue

From: "Keith T. Morgan" <keith.morgan () terradon com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 16:57:26 -0500

I know exactly what's occuring.  We use a commercial content security gateway for a lot of our customers to handle that
situation.  Most of the good commercial CSGs will prevent spoofing from "external" networks like you've described.
I've not found a way to accomplish this using sendmail via the "FEATURE_WHATEVER" and running them through m4.  My
guess is you'd need to drag out the batbook and hack up your .cf file by hand.  (ugh)

I don't know what this would involve in terms of client volume, general mayhem, and PITA factor, but you could always
go the TLS/SSL authentication route.  In a small (one or two domain) configuration, I've found postfix to be the MTA of
choice for that type of deployment.  Make 'em authenticate.  If they do, let 'em relay and log it.  If someone's
spamming, you know exactly who to lynch.