Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: VNC

From: "Spencer D'oro" <sbdoro () attbi com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 08:35:12 -0800

As an IT "out-source" Contractor, I sometimes find it necessary to set up
remote capabilities, for those clients who aren't easily accesible in a
convenient time frame.  I use a program called Remote Administrator
(RAdmin).  I like this app because it can be set with access by password or
authentication through Windows NT/2000 security (which I find to be very
important).  The service is easily configurable (port, connect through
host).  It uses 128-bit security and has an IP-filter option.  It has
several different modes of connectivity (full control, file transfer,
command-line interface, etc).  So I don't sound like a rep for the company,
let me list some weaknesses.  Works only on Windows and you must use Dial-Up
networking to establish a connection if you want to use it with a modem.
Also, you can only use one of the remote-control features per connection at
a time.  Other than that I have found the app very satisfactory.

Spencer