Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: adware showing up

From: "Spencer D'oro" <sbdoro () attbi com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 08:03:35 -0800

To add to this, there is a default setting in Internet Explorer Advanced Tab
properties that allows ANY program to Install On Demand (which merans when
the web site demands to install the app it can) when certain web sites are
visited.  I have had more cases of Precision Time, Date Manager, HotBar and
HuntBar, & Gator show up in the last 6 months because of this.  If this
option is checked, then these programs can install without approval of any
kind from the user.  Removing this is the first step to keep these and other
apps from randomly showing up on systems.  Of course, there is also the
option of using another browser ;)

Spencer