Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Remote access solution

From: "Mike Jensen" <jenseses () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:48:40 -0700

One thing to keep in mind when using VNC is that even though the inital authentication may be secure, anything you type while controlling the computer is sent in plain text. So, if you were to connect to a windows machine, for example, then login to or unlock the screen on that machine , that password you type is sent across the network in the clear. Or, you type in your password to check your e-mail on that computer; again, your password is sent in the clear.

I've always recommended tunneling the whole VNC session through some type of encryption method. (I prefer VPNs)

Hope this helps.
Jens

From: "Nuzman" <nuzman () shreve net>
Maybe I'm just not current on VNC, but the last version I saw had no way to
secure who can access the host. It was a simple connect to IP without any
authentication. Would you want anyone on the wire to be able to connect to a
system running the host?

That would certainly be bad if it were true, but VNC requires a password to log in. I'm using version 3.3.3r9 Under some older versions the password was stored in the registry on windows machines in clear text, which would be bad, but this isn't true with the version I'm using. If you're really worried about it, you can use tightVNC which has several security and performance enhancements. (although I haven't found them necessary)

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Linux and I have a love/hate relationship. I hate its complexity until I figure out how something works, then I love its power."