Security Basics mailing list archives

Permissions scanner

From: Di Fresco Marco <superdif () caltanet it>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:32:12 -0800

Hi,
I hope you accept another request from a newbie home user (by the way, thank
again for the suggestions about basic software for security ["Suggestions
for basic software for security"]).

Here it is my situation: computer with WinXP Pro. and a cable modem; I have
4 account (+1 for "Guest" but it is off, +1 one I can not delete):
Administrator (that I use for configurations), my account (for daily use)
and 2 account for both my parents (other than web surfing, they do not need
to do anything else).

Now, during the time (almost 2 month since I installed WinXP), I have made
some changes on the permissions (of the files, directory, some key of the
registry, etc.); unfortunately I have done one of the most common mistake
for an home user: I have not either plan the installation of WinXP and/or
the modification of the permissions. So now I am starting to worry to have
given to much permissions over some critical file (and so, become more
vulnerable to attack, especially since I have cable modem and so I am
available on-line for more time) while in some other place I left a strong
restriction even if I can give more permissions without worry about
security.

So my question is: is there some freeware scanner that, after I have
associated each account with a sort of profile (like "Configuration", "Daily
use", etc.), it scan the system (and the perimission related to each file)
and give me a report of the status of the permissions?

Since I am asking for a freeware, it will be enough if the program just give
me a report and eventually I do the changes manually (of course if there is
a freeware that also apply the modifications, it will be better). A
shareware may be ok if it gives for free the possibility to get at least the
report (and give the possibility to apply the modifications in the
commercial version).

Thank you in advance.

Di Fresco Marco