Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Permissions scanner

From: Harvey Cary <hcary () insphere net>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 20:22:25 -0500

A key element to this is that a user will be granted the least security
possible when the share and NTFS permissions are combined. For example, if
the NTFS permissions give a user read access but the shared permission is
read/write for everyone the user will still only have read access.

I generally try not to mix my permissions. I would recommend setting your
permmisions in NTFS and not giving much thought to the share permissions.