Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: TCP Syn Flooding

From: neopara <neopara () shaw ca>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 18:14:58 -0600

Most of the stand-alone or built-in(ie. firewalls) IDSes use
regular expression to analyzes the packets it is receiving.  Now if a
regular expression returns true after it is compared to a packet, then
the IDS will alert admin.  In the world of IDS, pre-made regular
expression are called signatures.  Hence the name signature based
alerts.  If you ever used a IDS like RealSecure or Snort, this can cause
some headaches because the signatures are to vague, and they get
triggered to easily.  That is why IDSes are not the end all solution.
When you get an alert, check it out, but don't think right off the bat
you are getting attacked. I hope that helped a bit.

Paul Sliwowski