Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Law office recommendations?

From: "Trevor Cushen" <Trevor.Cushen () sysnet ie>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:27:52 -0000

Hello Tim,

I re-drafted my reply several times on this one.  Firstly I hope it
stays because it is a good topic. Anyway I would say go with the
standards guideline ISO17799
(http://www.certificationeurope.com/isms.htm and other sites) which
gives you a baseline to work with that is internationally recognised.
Also gives you a stand point if challenged.  What am I saying?

"My opinion is you don't want a customer thinking your report is simply
your opinion on what is a secure environment.  Certainly go beyond the
standards where you see fit but have reached a baseline for your
customer.  That way worst case scenerio they challenge your work then
you can refer back to a recognised standard. The risk analysis is easy
this way as you simple look for what controls from the standard they do
not have in place."

One thing I would like to point out is that the ISO17799 standard or the
BS7799/IS17799 certification that can be achieved can be for PART of a
company or a department in a company or even a service the company
provides.  One building even is enough.  You scope the area for
certification it does not have to be the whole building or the whole
company.  Do look further then the ISO7799 guidelines if you are
considering certification, refer to your local certification body such
as Certification Europe (http://www.certificationeurope.com).  In your
case Tim your customer may benefit greatly from achieving the standard
and will be very happy with you for getting them to that level.

I hope this helps and is relevent to you.

Trevor Cushen
Sysnet Ltd

www.sysnet.ie