Security Basics mailing list archives

Identifying a computer

From: "Cheetah" <cheetahx () online no>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 16:38:08 +0100

Hello.

I am helping the sysadmin on my local LAN to manage the network, etc.
We have limited internet-bandwidth, and therefore it is necessary to make
sure no-one
is taking to much of the bandwidth, as others will not be able to use the
internet connection.

For the last 2 days, a new IP has appeared, and it is constantly using a lot
of bandwidth.
We have a linux-server running DHCP, DNS and the internet-connection. I have
checked the
dhcpd.leases file, but the IP isn't there. I have also tried to ping and
scan this IP, but the computer
is running a strong firewall, shows no open ports and doesn't even respond
to pings.

Is there any way I can get some information out of this computer without
running around
and asking everyone what their IP is?

Tore