Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Identifying a computer

From: "Duston Sickler" <dustons () charter net>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 19:06:39 -0600

You may want to make sure that there is not a unsecured Wi-Fi access point
on the network.  You may have some one in the parking lot doing things with
your bandwidth. (and you Internet facing IP)  As far as how to gather
information on the suspect IP address I suggest a sniffer to see what it is
they are doing.  You may be able to determine what O.S. they are using
(among other things) my looking at the output.

Best of luck,

Duston Sickler
CompTIA A+ Certified