Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: fire suppression

From: "Hayes, Bill" <Bill.Hayes () owh com>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 17:05:21 -0600

I've just been researching this, so here goes. Corrections always welcome.

In the US, the National Fire Protection Association maintains the fire prevention standards. NFPA 75 - Standard for the
Protection of Information Technology Equipment is the one you'll want to examine. WARNING: You have to pay to see them
online (http://www.nfpa.org/codesonline/).

Sun Microsystems mentions NFPA in  Sun Microsystems Data Center Site Planning Guide Chapter 5: Safety and Security
(http://docs.sun.com/source/805-5863-13/ch5.html).

I've found this subject to be kind of fuzzy. Generally you'll want to use class "C" clean agents. Examples include
Halotron, FM200, and good old CO2. For a discussion of CO2 and thermal shock, see
http://www.nafed.org/library/C02comp.cfm. You should stay away from dry agents as they could really mess up the works
when they get sucked into printers, etc. Class C dry agents are supposed to be nonconductive, but they could be
abrasive.

Bill...