Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: fire suppression

From: "Lyles, Carey" <lylesa () hastings-ent com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 15:12:20 -0600

A couple of things to add,

All good server rooms or datacenters must have a reliable air-conditioning system to keep temperatures under control.
A server room with a lot of boxes can generate a tremendous amount of heat.  Keeping the server room cool will decrease
component failure (items like hard drives tend to die early if overheated) and will also decrease the chance of
creating a fire due to excessive system temperature.  I have actually seen a power supply smoke and melt in a very
large IBM mainframe  when the air-conditioning broke and the room's temperature spiked.

If there is not an operations staff 24X7, you should also have a reliable monitoring system that can page you.  Various
systems can be setup to page you in the event of temperature increase, fire suppression system release, etc.

Make sure you have your power lines inspected and that you don't overload them or your UPS.

In my humble opinion, fire prevention should be the first step when considering fire suppression.  But of course, you
still have to have fire suppression in case one does break out.

Carey Lyles
Security Administrator