Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: WiFi security implications

From: "David J. Jackson" <djackson () netdmz com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 15:37:05 -0800

Hi.  Great question.  Their issue is probably not as much related to VPN being secure or not secure.  It's more than
likely a problem with your laptop accessing a publicly available wireless access point to get to them.  If I'm also
sitting on that access point and launch an exploit or backdoor, etc. on your laptop, I now have control too.  Now, you
connect to your VPN and access the company's internal LAN, guess what...I have access now too.  Even worse, it's a
security policy nightmare.  Consider the following that they may or may not have been thinking:

1.  Do they have an existing Security Policy that demands virus updates be done on a regular basis?
2.  Does is cover updates to software not only for the operating system, but for additional software installed?
3.  Does it protect the interest of the rest of the computers and servers in their company?
4.  Do they prevent users from installing "Non-Supported" software and hardware that may interfere with your network?
5.  Can users "Hook up" their personal laptop to other networks besides the company's where they can be infected, etc.?

These are just some of the issues that come to mind.  Think about this....they allow you to connect.  You go home or to
the publicly available access point, and you get infected with some new worm virus, like the more recent Blaster Worm.
Your company hasn't been infected from the outside because they have firewalls, virus updates, etc.You now connect into
your network and have just infected your entire network from the inside out.  Most people look at security from an
outside in approach only.

Good Luck!