Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: WiFi security implications

From: "Tres London" <telconstar99 () wblondon com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 01:51:38 -0600

Let's assume that I don't have a firewall on the laptop.

Aren't you saying that the danger is that somebody could access my
laptop and do some sort of damage to it b/c I don't have a firewall?

Assuming they allow me to use the laptop to access the internet on an
insecure wireless network, wouldn't the concerns be the same even if I
wasn't VPNing into the network?

i.e. If they allow me to use the laptop for normal internet activity at
an insecure public wireless location already, just not for VPN access,
doesn't that mean that IT is not concerned about the firewall?

-Tres London