Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: VLAN Question

From: Meidinger Chris <chris.meidinger () badenit de>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:59:49 +0100

Remember the time when switched networking was a new and up-and-coming cool
thing? Remeber those rows upon rows of AUI ports or 10Base2 connections all
connnected to hunking brown hubs? Remember replacing then with one 48 port
switch and 2 HE's worth of twisted pair jacks? Well at that time switches
*were* massively more expensive than hubs. And the VLAN *was* intended to
let you buy one big hunking switch and run several subnets off of it. This
had nothing to do with big switches v. little switches, but rather with big
switches v. big hubs.

As far as the next mail, Todd said that it was true at the time that a bit
of broadcast leakage wasn't a big deal. He didn't say that in today's
security conscious environment nobody would care. The VLAN was not a
security invention, it was an invention designed to utilize switches fully
at a time when that technology was significantly more expensive. And in that
enviroment one silly little broadcast packet too many wasn't really worrying
anyone (much).

This is not a flame, but i had to defend the guy.

Cheers,

Chris

badenIT GmbH
System Support