Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: VLAN Question

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:44:07 -0700

It's clearly indicated by numerous sources including SAN's and some
penetration testing outfits that VLAN's can be compromised.

  Therefore, it's not a reliable security measure.

  On the other hand, I've seen it at a number of sites.  Few places
seem to be willing to dedicate a whole switch, cut off from their
switch management VLAN, to provide 3-5 ports for an Internet segment.
It's so much easier and cheaper to borrow the needed ports from an
existing switch that's already part of the infrastructure.

  This is a good example of compromise on risk.  While it's not
completely reliable, an awful lot of enterprises judge the risk
of compromise by this route to be low enough to justify the cost
savings.

  (My impression -- and I haven't reviewed this lately -- is that
most of the VLAN compromise techniques are much easier to do from
inside the local network, and so there's little reason to target
the Internet segment VLAN in preference over something more sensitive.)

David Gillett