Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Password storage tool?

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:36:25 -0700

From: Chris Merkel <chrism () geo-synthetics com>
> I realize that storing this info on the network is usually a
> Bad Thing(tm), but if we can securely encrypt it, it makes it
> a lot easier for people to get the info in the time of need
> (without the gatekeeper having to drive into the office at 4am).
>
> Looking for real-world stories, ideas, what didn't work, etc...

I use password safe - it's a simple, open-source app for Win32 / PocketPC. I
like it for several reasons:
1. Multiple database support - you can keep different vaults of passwords
for different groups of people.
2. Uses high-grade encryption.
3. Has Bruce Schneier's stamp of approval.
4. It's free.

Password Safe homepage:
http://www.counterpane.com/passsafe.html

Here's the sourceforge page for it:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/passwordsafe/

- They also say they're working on version 2.0, which will be easier to port
across different platforms.

We also use this program, very handy.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Conciousness: that annoying time between naps."