Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SoBig and some info

From: Sebastian Schneider <ses () straightliners de>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 03:17:03 +0200

There is no real need to use spam relay servers to send e-mails containing
malware. As a matter of fact, the Sobig.F acts as a SMTP client by itself.

The procedure to fake the sender's address is kind of easy, when knowing where
to send your e-mail to. I.e. when addressing a mail to ask@me.twice you can
obtain the appropriate mail server by querying a DNS for the MX records of
domain me.twice. Then you just connect to that server doing the protocol
stuff and transmitting the e-mail as is. That mail server usually has to
accept that e-mail for it is its local domain.
Technically filters and rules can be applied to reject that very e-mail
anyway. For instance, if the sender's domain does not exists, or the host
name transmitted while in HELO/EHLO phase is not a full qualified domain or
whatever the e-mail might be rejected.

So a simple telnet can do it, i.e. telnet smtp.server.local 25 can look like
that:
S: 220 smtp.server.local ESMTP welcomes you
C: HELO me.myself.andi
S: 250 smtp.server.local
C: mail from: <dude () sco com>
S: 250 OK
C: rcpt to: <user@server.local>
S: 250 OK
C: DATA
S: 354 end data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
C: From: "Real dude" <dude () sco com>
C: To: "Funny User" <user@server.local>
C: Subject: This is so much a test
C:
C: test it
C: .
C:
S: 250 OK, message id is 12345
C: QUIT
S: 221 see ya later

In that case, the server accepted the mail even if you don't own the
<dude () sco com> address.

Sebastian